According to Qatari officials, 10,000 cabins and caravans used for the World Cup would be sent to Turkey and Syria to lodge individuals who lost their houses in a severe earthquake.
Following the 7.8-magnitude earthquake that struck both countries early on Monday and claimed at least 33,000 lives while destroying entire neighborhoods, the United Nations has warned that millions may require assistance.
“We have decided to deploy our cabins and caravans to the region, offering much-needed and immediate relief to the people of Turkey and Syria,” a Qatari official told AFP in response to the urgent needs in Turkey and Syria.
When Qatar hosted the FIFA World Cup last year, the mobile residences were put to work for a few weeks. After the competition, officials said they would be donated.
According to Qatari officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media, the first shipment is scheduled to depart Doha port for Turkey on Monday, with other deliveries anticipated in the following days.
The first foreign head of state to travel to Turkey after the earthquake last week was the emir of the Gulf state, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al-Thani, on Sunday.
He avoided the devastated areas and instead met with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan in Istanbul to discuss how Doha might assist in “mitigate this calamity,” according to the emir’s tweet.
With 130 workers on the ground, Qatar has one of the largest foreign rescue teams in Turkey. Additionally, 100 tons of relief were supplied.
Over the past few years, relations between the two nations have been stronger.
Before the earthquake, Qatar had already committed to investing billions of dollars in infrastructure and shopping centers throughout the faltering Turkish economy.
After the earthquake damaged thousands of buildings and left tens of thousands of others in need of extensive repairs before they could be utilized once more, Turkey is now in critical need of housing.